The Young Professionals Council (YPC) was created as a means to introduce young professionals to the profession of Remote Sensing, Photogrammetry, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) within ASPRS; encourage active involvement within the geospatial and imaging profession; and, provide opportunities for professional growth. The Council oversees activities pertaining to the advancement of ASPRS members who are professionals with ten (10) years or less experience in the imaging and geospatial profession, and who are thirty-five (35) years old or younger. Students are ineligible to be members of this group, but are strongly encouraged to engage the YPC through the Student Advisory Council (SAC).
The Council has identified six (6) core initiatives:
- To serve as an advocate for ASPRS Associate Members.
- To promote Provisional Certification among graduating students who are entering the workforce as young professionals.
- To initiate a Mentor Initiative Program. The mentor program will set guidelines and structure at the national level. It will assist Regions in establishing and executing this program at the regional level. It will outline rewards/recognition, guidelines, and expectations. Additionally, it will assist in recruiting mentor volunteers from Sustaining Member firms or existing members.
- To coordinate with the Student Advisory Council.
- To coordinate with the Sustaining Members Council.
- To promote professional development through multiple avenues, by:
- Establishing a monthly webinar series of presentations, technical sessions, and programs;
- Assisting the Sustaining Members Council with semi-annual career expos through webinars;
- Promoting Mentor Program Involvement from all ASPRS members and the Young Professional Groups at the Regional level; and
- Providing training regarding procurement procedures and Federal contracting guidelines (FAR and SF330).
Devin Kelley, Chair
Josh Siskind, Deputy Chair (Student Advisory Council Liaison)
Amr Abd-Elrahman, Professional Development Coordinator
Ryan Bowe, Mentor Program Coordinator
Brian Murphy, Sustaining Member Liaison
VACANT, Professional Certification Liaison