This Award is presented by ASPRS with funding provided by the ASPRS Foundation through unrestricted donations.
The purpose of the Award is to encourage and commend those who publish papers of practical or applied value in PE&RS, the official journal of ASPRS. The Award consists of:
- First prize: An engraved pewter tankard, a certificate, and $500.
- Second prize: A certificate and $300.
- Third prize: A certificate and $200.
Eligibility to receive the Award shall be restricted to those papers authored by a minimum of at least one member of ASPRS. For multiple author papers, at least 50% of those authors must be ASPRS members to be eligible; the award is made to the individual, or collaborating individuals who, in the opinion of the selection committee, best meet the established criteria. No application is required since the nominees are determined by an award selection committee.
Factors considered by the committee in making its selection are the value of the achievement to the United States of America and its practical or applied value in advancing the state of the art. The Award may be given for, but not limited to, any of the following types of achievements in the fields of photogrammetry and remote sensing:
- A case of practical application or adaptation, where an exceptional degree of technical skill, judgment, or initiative is demonstrated, or where a significant increase in operating efficiency or productivity is achieved.
- The development of a new and valuable technique or method.
- An outstanding design or invention of equipment or material, or a new or unusual application of existing equipment or material.
The Award is normally made to individuals whose article was published in PE&RS during the calendar year preceding the year of the Award presentation.